Sunday, January 24, 2016

Kicking Off 2016! (with some reminders)

It's happening, everyone! HFF 2016 is off and running! I'm happy to say that we have over 40 participants, and that's pretty amazing!

The first challenge was all about meat and potatoes, and we had some outstanding recipes! Meat pies and shepherds pies were very popular options. I thought we'd highlight some returning challengers, and some new ones, for this first post.

First up we have Stephanie Ann of The World Turn'd Upside Down, who was one of our challengers last year and contributed many memorable challenges in 2014/2015. She did not disappoint for her first challenge this year: homemade potato chips. YUM. Enough said. Welcome back, Stephanie Ann!



And we have a new challenger: Susan of Nosh and News, who made a beef and potato pie from 1918. She included some great background information from the newspaper where she found the recipe. That kind of context always makes a recipe come alive for me, and that's the kind of thing we're all about around here. Welcome, Susan!




And Now, A Little Housecleaning...

The list of challengers is up-to-date as of January 5th. I haven't had time to update since thing (I've been sick with a sinus infection, there are professional responsibilities, the holidays, blah blah blah). So there are still some challengers that need to be added to the list. I wish I could say it'll be done immediately, but that's just not the case - I have some other things that take priority right now. And I apologize to those who are waiting - you can obviously still participate (there are no rules saying your name has to be up to participate) and I will get you added as I am able, so it'll be like you were always there.

In the meantime, here's a friendly PSA and a sneak peek behind the scenes of running the Historical Food Fortnightly: there's only one way to get your name up on the list of challengers: through the form that's linked on the Challengers page. The form automatically feeds to a spreadsheet that keeps things organized, and that's where I get your name and the web address of your blog to create a link on the Challengers page. Excel rules everything around me. If you post on the Facebook page, if you comment on a post, if you send me an email, it won't get added to the page.

Some people have asked about updating your information (new blog titles, etc). I've added directions for that in the Challengers page.


Back to the Good Stuff!

Next up is Culinary Vices! People have already been posting their delightfully sinful creations, and I'm excited to see the rest of the posts! Keep up the good work!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about your sinus infection! And thanks for the update!

    Tegan

    ReplyDelete